Monday, January 9, 2012

What's it worth?

18 months of insanity later, I'm back on the blog!

18 months which brought me a sociopath I needed to take a restraining order against, an unstable bipolar sufferer, a car accident, surgery, Ross River Virus, and a very scary time with my son who stopped breathing on the way to hospital with me, to be treated for severe asthma. Thank God he made it.

That moment has actually brought me to write today.

I have taken to a popular internet dating site, and been chatting to a guy for a few weeks now. We really hit it off, and were texting 'til the early hours. Have a lot in common, and he's funny. BUT his profile said he was an occasional / social smoker.

I met him last night, and enjoyed his company. However conversation revealed that he had perhaps underestimated how much he smoked - I don't think that between 3-4 and a pack of cigarettes a day constitutes occasional / social smoking.

I have a very strong opinion on this one, and with my son's asthma, I just won't knowingly put him in the vacinity of smokers - whether they smoke near him or not, it's still on clothes, then they sit on the couch... Aside from that, I hate it. I've got a friend moving in for a couple of months, and this friend is giving up to move in here.

When you've seen your son stop breathing, and had to bring him back, you'll do whatever it takes. And I know smoking might not seem like a big deal to some (in fact, he replied that he had asthma himself and smoking hadn't affected it), but I'm not prepared to compromise on this one - I will not get involved in a relationship with someone who smokes.

My question is, do you think it's worth discarding a relationship with someone because they smoke?

No comments:

Post a Comment