Friday, September 11, 2009

Who do you share with?

So, I've floated away for a bit...

Why do I insist on divulging my thoughts with people I feel like I've connected with - for a minute?! I am the spider in the Little Miss Muffet nursery rhyme - frightening others away by reaching out.

They say that the problems occur in a marriage when one starts talking to others about their marriage. Yet, when all you discuss turns into anger and hurt with your estranged spouse, where to go? When one is isolated, away from their 'people', one tends to turn to others they wouldn't normally turn to.

The one person they feel like they connected with on an intimate level in the past few years. That person who made them feel an inkling of special and worthy, and who highlighted exactly what they've been missing in their marriage for a very long time. The one person who is 'there' in the loneliness of the night - that time after one's son has gone to sleep, and before one succumbs to sleep themselves.

The person they work with everyday who has turned into a substitute brother. Who keeps me in check every day, and has called me on my more excessive habits. Who has made a pact with me to keep those excessive, pain dulling habits in check.

And the person who gave me my foot in the door, and gave me the opportunity to be where I am now, in the job I love. The person who I no longer work with, but who understands it all, admires my ability to articulate my issues and what I want from life, and my unwillingness to compromise on anything less.

Who do you share with? And how do you get it all off your chest without scaring any of them off?

No comments:

Post a Comment