Monday, January 25, 2010

How do you breathe?

I don't speak in the literal sense, I speak metaphorically.
Well, in a way I suppose I do mean literally.

You know that feeling you get when it all just gets too much? When you feel there's no way to turn, it's hard every which way, and that your breathing is constantly shallow and hastened? When you feel the knot in your stomach, the one that you didn't even realise you had, until you had a chance to breathe again?

This life is about enjoying it, is it not? I believe this. Strongly. And this is what has led me to some major life choices of late. If you aren't happy, do something about it! Oh, and did I ever?....

I realise that there are many, many people out there with so much more to complain about than I, and please don't think I'm complaining. Everyone has a different threshold, and one should never judge another with a greater or smaller threshold. I just didn't realise I'd hit mine - until I had a moment to myself whilst I was house sitting a month ago. And I realised I enjoyed the freedom of putting my feet on the coffee table whilst enjoying a glass of wine (or two or three), and watching (yet again), Mallrats, an old favourite movie - and one I'd not watched for at least 8 years. I enjoyed the freedom of walking to the local deli to pick up the weekend paper. Of the trip to the other local shop to purchase fresh, hot turkish bread for lunch - with dip. And that's all.

No judgements over my choices heard from anyone. They were my choices to make. They were things I enjoyed. And I noticed I was breathing again when I did these things. I noticed the knot in my stomach release somewhat.

I took myself off to a resort down south late last week for a few nights to recoup, and, above all, to breathe again. I took notice of what it was I enjoyed in life. Wineries, lazing on the beach looking out to the sea, laying by the pool reading a good book, fish and chips in a picturesque location, learning about coffee, d&m's with a long lost friend....These are the things that loosened that knot in my stomach. I felt I could breathe again.

Are these things difficult to replicate? No, they are not. With a child, they are logistically challenging, but they are not out of reach. These are the things I aim to hold dear this year, and to make a point of enjoying, to make sure I remain breathing - deep and slowly, not shallow and hastened.

So, what is it that allows you to breathe? Can you make a concerted effort to enjoy one or two of them every few weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment